The following statement was released on August 29 by Green Party candidate for President, Dr. Jill Stein, www.jillstein.org.
Statement By Jill Stein.
I welcome and endorse the AFL-CIO’s campaign to finally fulfill President Roosevelt’s 1944 call for a second, Economic Bill of Rights, including the rights to jobs, living wages, labor unions, voting rights, health care, education, and retirement security.
As the Green Party candidate for President, my Green New Deal platform already has specific proposals to secure these rights.
● Jobs: Employ the unemployed in public works projects and federally-supported community-controlled cooperatives and other enterprises;
create 25 million green and pink jobs.
● Living Wages: Raise the federal minimum wage to a living wage.
● Labor Law Reforms: Repeal the anti-labor Taft-Hartley Act, outlaw permanent striker replacements, and authorize majority card check union recognition.
● Voting Rights: Pass the Right To Vote Amendment to establish an affirmative constitutional right to vote and accurate vote counting.
● Corporate Power: Pass a constitutional amendment to repeal the corrupting court-ordered doctrines that corporations are people and money is speech and establish that corporations and election campaign finance can be regulated.
● Health Care: Enact single-payer Medicare for All.
● Education: Forgive student debt and provide tuition-free public education from pre-school through graduate school.
● Retirement Security: Eliminate the cap on Social Security taxes for high incomes in order to secure Social Security’s indefinite fiscal sustainability. (more…)